Municipal Services

Links (How do I…?)

For more information about any of the below Municipal Services, please call the Clerk’s Office at 207-643-2812.

(Back to Top)

Pay Property Tax

Real Estate and Personal Property Tax payments can be made with the Tax Collector in person, online, by mail or over the phone anytime throughout the year. Cash, check and credit cards accepted (2.5% processing fee on all credit/debit card payments ).

Please note: PAST DUE taxes accrue interest. If you are trying to pay past due taxes in full, please contact the Tax Collector for an accurate balance. Any additional funds, above what is due on the date of receipt, will be applied to the following year as a prepayment.

Make your Online Property Tax Payments here! ( online service; 2.5% processing fee applied)

(Back to Top)

Dog Licenses

Other Pet Licenses

  • Cats or other pets are not required to be licensed.
  • Maine State law requires that all cats must be vaccinated for rabies.

Dog Licenses

  • You may license your dog at the Town Clerk’s Office during normal business hours or online through the State of Maine by clicking HERE.
  • All dogs must be licensed within 10 days of adoption once the dog reaches the age of 6 months. The licensing period is from January 1st to December 31st of each year.
  • You must bring your dogs neutering/spaying certificate (if applicable) and current rabies certificate (with the state seal) to complete the licensing process at the Town Office.
  • Dog licenses are available beginning October 15 for the upcoming year. After January 31st a State imposed $25 late fee will be charged for each unlicensed dog.


(In Town Office - add’l $1 if paying with debit/credit)

  • Neutered/Spayed Dog … $ 6.00
  • Unaltered … $ 11.00

(Online through InforME)

  • Neutered/Spayed Dog … $ 7.00
  • Unalterd … $ 12.00

Animal Control Officer

(Back to Top)

Hunting & Fishing Licenses

The Town of Solon serves as an agent for the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W) for the purchase of hunting and fishing licenses. This service is available to any Maine resident or non-resident alike. You can find out more information on how to obtain a hunting or fishing license at the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife website.

Maine Hunting Law Book Online Virtual

Maine Hunting Law Book cover

Maine Hunting Law Book Online Virtual

Maine Fishing Law Book cover

(Back to Top)

ATV, Boat and Snowmobile Registrations

The Town of Solon serves as an agent for the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W) for the registration and re-registration of boats, snowmobiles, and all terrain vehicles (ATVs). Only Solon residents may register a boat due to the excise being required to be paid in the municipality of residence. You can find out more information on how to register your boat, snowmobile or ATV at the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife website.

Watercraft Excise Tax

Watercraft owners are required to pay an annual excise tax to the Town. The registration process may then be completed with the Town or with IF&W. Watercraft registrations are for the period January 1 to December 31.

Snowmobile & ATV Excise Tax

There is no excise tax on snowmobiles or ATVs. Snowmobile and ATV re-registrations can be processed with either IF&W or the Town. Snowmobile and ATV registrations are for the period July 1 to June 30.

(Back to Top)

Motor Vehicle Registrations

**Sign up for annual vehicle registration REMINDERS here.

Registration Renewals

The Town of Solon is an authorized agent of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and is authorized to issue registration renewals for passenger & combination vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, trailers, tractors, special equipment, handicapped, firefighter, antique autos, motor homes, and trucks registered for the same gross weight as the previous year.

For online renewals of vehicle registration, click here.

At the time of your registration renewal, you must provide:

  1. Proof of Insurance Coverage for the vehicle, as required by the State of Maine
  2. Previous Registration
  3. Current Mileage

New Registrations

The Town of Solon is an agent of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and is authorized to issue new registrations and registration renewals to residents of Solo for passenger & combination vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, mopeds, motor homes, antique autos, farm vehicles, special equipment and commercial trucks to be registered for no more than 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

As of January 1, 2010, 1995 and newer vehicles need a Maine title. A vehicle 1994 and older does not need a Maine title.

Private Sale

To register a vehicle purchased through a private sale, the new owner must provide the following items at the time of registration:

  1. A bill of sale that includes the make, serial (VIN) number, the date of the sale, and amount paid. This must be signed by the seller & the new owner(s).
  2. If the vehicle is 1995 or newer, the title from the previous owner is required. The back of the title must be filled out to the new owner(s) and signed by the previous owner(s).
  3. Proof of Insurance Coverage for the vehicle, as required by the State of Maine.
  4. Current Mileage
Dealer Sale

To register a vehicle purchased through a Maine dealer, the new owner must provide the following items at the time of registration:

  1. Application for Maine Title from the dealer.
  2. Green Sales Tax form from the dealer.
  3. Proof of Insurance Coverage for the vehicle, as required by the State of Maine.
  4. Current Mileage
  5. If the vehicle is brand new, you must also provide the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price window sticker or a copy of the sticker.

New Residents

If moving to Solon from another town in Maine

Maine law requires the Secretary of State be notified when you change your address. This must be done within 10 days of the change. There is no fee and you must bring in your most recent registration. Vehicle registration address changes can be done at the Town Office in person.

To change your Driver’s License address, you must contact a branch of the Maine BMV.

If moving to Solon from another state

Persons moving to Maine from another state, within 30 days of residency, by Maine law, must register their motor vehicles at their Town Office. At the time of registration, the vehicle owner will need to provide:

  1. The most recent out of state registration.
  2. The title to the vehicle from the previous state where you resided.
  3. Proof of Insurance Coverage for the vehicle, as required by the State of Maine.

Please note that you will not automatically be sent a renewal notice for your vehicle registration. You can sign up for email reminders here. You must obtain a new driver’s license within 30 days of moving to Maine.

Specialty License Plates

Specialty license plates are available at the Town Office for an additional fee. We have Support Wildlife, Breast Cancer, Lobster, Conservation (Loon), Maine Black Bear, University of Maine, Agriculture, Support the Troops and Animal Welfare license plates. Purple Heart & Veteran plates are available at no extra charge with proper military documentation.

Decals for Veteran plates can be obtained through the BMV or by visiting Vanity plates are available at any BMV branch.

To check the availability of vanity plates & to order online, please click

Online BMV Forms and Applications

Many BMV forms & applications are available to download & print at:

Driver’s Licenses and State ID Cards

Driver’s licenses and state identification cards are obtained through the BMV. For a list of BMV locations & hours of operation, please click

(Back to Top)

Solid Waste Transfer Station Use Permits

The Solon Transfer Station is a trash and recycling transfer facility for residents and property owners of Solon. Annual Transfer Station Use Permit Stickers are required by all residents and landowners to use the facility. They can be purchased at the Town Office or from the Transfer Station Attendants, at a cost of $5. Proof of residency or landownership in Solon required to obtain. They are valid from January 1 - December 31 each year and must be placed on an area of the windshield visible to the attendants.


  • Household - household trash, demo, wood, metal.
  • Recycling - paper, cardboard, glass and plastics and aluminum cans.
  • Winter sand - up to two 5-gallon buckets per household
  • Commercial

Contact Info


  • Monday: Closed
  • Tuesday: Closed
  • Wednesday: 10:00AM to 2:00PM
  • Thursday: Closed
  • Friday: Closed
  • Saturday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM
  • Sunday: 8:00AM to 1:00PM
(Back to Top)

Building & Plumbing Permits

See Code Enforcement for more information on

  • Building Permits
  • Subsurface Wastewater Permits (Septic)
  • Internal Plumbing Permits
(Back to Top)

Marriage Licenses

A Maine marriage license is required for a marriage to be solemnized in Maine. Marriage Licenses can be obtained at the Town Office. Marriages may be performed by notaries public, ministers, priests and rabbis, as well as members of the Maine Bar. There must be two witnesses supplied by the applicants. The witnesses need not have special qualifications, but they must be old enough to understand what they are witnessing. Once issued, Marriage Licenses are valid for 90 days.


  • Intention of Marriage Application … $ 40.00
  • Marriage Certificate copies … $15.00
  • Each additional copy … $6.00

Steps to Requesting a Marriage License & Certificate

Step 1 - Submit the Marriage Packet
The Marriage packet consists of the following:

  1. Completed & Notarized Intention of Marriage Application

  2. Application Fee ($40.00)

  3. Marriage Certificate Request & Fee (first copy - $15.00, each additional copy - $6)

  4. Photo copy of State Identification

  5. Additional Documentation* (in cases of divorce or a deceased spouse):

    • Certified divorce papers (with raised seal)
    • Certified death certificate (with raised seal)

Step 2 - Marriage License Issued
The Town of Solon will generate the marriage license with the information provided on the Intention of Marriage Application.

  • Please arrive at least one hour prior to the end of day to allow time to process. Completing the Intention of Marriage Application in advance will help expedite the process. Appointments may be made by contacting the Clerk.
  • Once the marriage license is prepared it should be checked carefully by the applicant for accuracy.
  • Both parties must be present at the time the Marriage License is issued in order to sign the Marriage License.

Step 3 - Get Married!
Marriages are performed by a notary public, minister, priest, rabbis, or members of the Maine Bar

Step 4 - Submit the Completed Marriage License
Within 7 days after the ceremony, the officiant / person performing the ceremony returns the completed Marriage License to the clerk that issued it.

Step 5 - Marriage Certificate is Issued
Once received and processed, either party can request a certified copy of the record from the Clerks Office.

If paid for in advance, the Marriage Certificate will be mailed from the Town of Solon directly to the couple. Additional copies of the Marriage Certificate may be obtained from the Town. For each printing, the first copy is $15 and each additional copy is $6.

(This certificate will be needed to change social security status, name on driver’s license, etc.)


Frequently Asked Questions

  • If both parties reside in separate municipalities within Maine, the license must be obtained at one of the towns of residence.
  • If both parties are non-residents of Maine, the license may be obtained at any municipal office.
  • If one is a Maine resident and one is not, the license will be obtained at the Maine town of residence.
  • Marriages may take place in any town in Maine, regardless of where the license is granted.
  • There are no blood tests required.
  • If either party is under 18, a parent or guardian signature is required.

For a list of notaries in Solon, Maine that perform weddings in the area, please call the Town Office at 207-643-2842 or email

(Back to Top)

Vital Records

Maine is a closed record State. Individuals requesting a certified copy of a vital record must complete a written request or application, provide acceptable identification, and depending on the record requested, may have to demonstrate their direct and legitimate interest and/or lineage.

Certificate of Vital Record

  • Birth Certificate Request
  • Death Certificate Request
  • Marriage Certificate Request
  • Written request for certified birth, death or marriage record must be completed and submitted to the Town. You must show positive identification and proof of a ‘direct and legitimate interest’ to receive a copy of a death certificate. If making your request by mail, you must include a photocopy of your driver’s license or two other forms of identification.
  • A certified death certificate costs $15.00; and $6.00 each for additional copies of the same record. The Solon Town Office accepts checks (made payable to the Town of Solon), cash, and credit or debit cards (with a 2.5% processing fee). Requests and payments may not be done online.
  • If you are sending your request by mail, you may mail it to: Town Clerk, Town of Solon, PO Box 214, Solon, ME 04979
  • You may also purchase a vital record online, directly with the State of Maine Department of Data Research and Vital Records.

Public Records - 22 MRS §2706(7) defines a public record. After 75 years from the date of birth for birth certificates, after 50 years from the date of death for fetal death certificates, after 25 years from the date of death for death certificates, after 50 years from the date of marriage for marriage certificates, and after 50 years from the registration of domestic partnerships, any person may obtain noncertified copies of these vital records under the department’s rules. Certificates and records of birth, marriage, and death, including fetal death, created before 1892 are open to the public without restriction. All persons may purchase a copy on municipal letterhead, or a noncertified copy of a vital record created before 1892.


(Back to Top)

Voter Registration

Residents of the Town of Solon, who are eighteen years of age or older, can register to vote with the Clerk’s Office located in the Solon Municipal Building at 121 South Main Street. Be prepared to present information that shows proof of identity and establishes that you are a resident of Maine and of the Town of Solon.

For additional information on registering to vote in Maine, click here.

(Back to Top)

Local Elections & Town Reports

Be an active participant in town affairs by volunteering and attending town meetings

Solon has the Town Meeting form of government. The Town Meeting is the purest form of democracy in existence today. Without citizen participation it can not work. The citizens review and approve warrant articles presented to them, including both the municipal budget and ordinances.

  • The Annual Town Meeting is held the

    • Held the first Saturday in March at the Solon Elementary School.
    • 8 AM - 12:15 PM - Secret ballot voting for Elected Officials
    • 1:30 PM - Open forum Annual Town Meeting
    • Absentee voting is available for 30 days prior to the election.
  • Available Elected Positions:

    • Selectmen (3 seats on a 3-year term, rotating schedule)
    • Road Commissioner (1 year term)
    • School Board Director (3 seats on a 3-year term, rotating schedule)

Nomination Papers for the various elected positions are available at the Town Office starting in December and are due back in the middle of January. Contact the Town Clerk for more information about running for an elected position.

The Selectmen prepare the Town Budget and Warrant Articles for the upcoming Town Meeting and presents them to the Budget Committee for their review at their Annual Budget Meeting the 3rd Saturday in January at 8 am at the Town Office. If you want to have an article considered at the Annual Town Meeting it must be presented to the Selectmen no later than the Wednesday before the Annual Budget Meeting in January.

Town Reports will be mailed out to the residents in Solon the end of February. If you do not receive one in the mail, you can pick one up at the Town Office. The Town Report includes the Warrant for the upcoming Annual Town Meeting.

For town meeting warrants or local election results, click here

(Back to Top)

State Elections

See Elections & Voting

(Back to Top)

Open Burn Permits

Open burn permits can be requested locally or online. They are issued to individuals seeking th burn brush piles, wood debris and agricultural burns. Campfire permits can only be issued by the local Fire Department or the Maine Fire Service Regional Headquarters.

Request an Open Burn Permit


(Back to Top)

Concealed Handgun Permit (Gun Permit)

The Town of Solon has been authorized by the Maine State Police to issue Concealed Handgun Permits to its residents age 21 years or older (or over 18 with military qualifications). Please submit the application with valid proof of ID. Applications may take 3-4 weeks to process. Renewals require the same application.


(Back to Top)

E911 Street Addressing

In order for 9-1-1 to work as designed, each structure must be linked to a unique, physical address that clearly identifies where an emergency caller is located. Municipal authority to address is granted under Municipal Home Rule Powers as provided in Article VIII, Part 2, Section 1 of Maine State Constitution and Title 30-A MRSA Section 3001.

Please complete theE-911 Address Request Form below if any of the following occurs:

  • If you have purchased or will be developing a lot to include a dwelling. You will need a E911 address assigned for electric and phone service.
  • If you will be adding an additional dwelling to a property that has an existing dwelling.
  • If you have any questions about your property’s address.

Addressing Officer: L. Bruce Hills

(Back to Top)


How to make a Freedom of Access Act (FOAA) request for public municipal records.

(Back to Top)

General Assistance

General Assistance helps individuals and families to meet their basic needs. This may include help paying for: Household or personal supplies (toiletries, cleaning supplies) , Food, Housing (e.g., mortgage, rent, room rent, temporary housing), Fuel & utilities, Medical, dental, prescriptions, medical supplies/equipment, Burial costs.

Additional Information

(Back to Top)
Made with by TownCloud © Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.