Local History

Solon [SOW-luhn] is a town in Somerset County, incorporated on February 23, 1809 from the township T1 R2 EKR. Settled in 1782 by William Hilton of Wiscasset, it was named for one of the great sages of Ancient Greece, in keeping with its neighboring town of Athens.

Solon is the gateway to the ‘Old Canada Road” along historic U.S. Route 201. As part of the Federal Scenic Byway system, the ‘Old Canada Road Scenic Byway’ runs from Solon to the Canadian border. Located in central Maine, Solon has a population of around 1,000 fulltime residents. We are about one hour north of Augusta, our state capital, and one hour west of Bangor. 

Solon has a traditional Town Meeting form of government with a three-member Board of Selectmen.  Our Annual Town Business Meeting and Election of Officers is always the 1st Saturday in March.  Visit our Town Meeting & Local Elections page for information about upcoming and past Town Meetings.

The natural beauty of the Kennebec River runs along our western border.  It’s long been known for it’s history of log drives but now is a recreational paradise – fishing, canoeing, kayaking and white water rafting. 

We have excellent year round recreational opportunities. Our woods provide excellent hunting conditions for deer, bear and birds. In the winter snowmobilers use our many snowmobile trails.  We have two Interconnecting Trail Systems, ITS 87 and 84, running through our town. Also cross country skiing is superb and we are about 45 minutes from Sugarloaf Mountain if you prefer down hill skiing. Summer time is great for boating, swimming, hiking, bicycling, rafting and just plain enjoying a Maine summer. There is a multi purpose “rail trail” that runs from Solon to Bingham along the Kennebec River. In the fall our beautiful views are great for leaf peeping.  In the spring it is great to watch the rebirth of the land and to go fishing.  

Header photo: Corn husking crew, Solon, Maine - Date unknown

External Links

Made with by TownCloud © Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.